Monday, March 31, 2008

Completed "The Jesus Creed"

"The Jesus Creed" by Dr. Scot McKnight proved to be a great read all the way through! It was one of those interactive reads where you are forced to pause, reflect, examine, repent, and then act. In Chapter 21, "Surrendering In Jesus", Dr. McKnight wrote, "Surrendering ourselves to love God is not giving up things for God so much as giving ourselves to God." In another post I previously stated that I was using "The Jesus Creed" as sort of a road map on my Lenten my Lenten journey. The aforementioned quote proved to be a rest stop, a place to camp out a bit and repent. During lent we think of things to give up, which is not a bad practice, but the call is to give up ourselves. It was a good reminder of God's claim upon my life, the whole of my life. The whole of my life includes my time, resources, decisions, family, rights, and I'm sure you get the point. It is the call to a very old word known as devotion, it is the consecration of ones' self to God. After all That is the Jesus Creed, To love God with our entire self, and to love others as our self! Check it out for yourself!

No comments: